Portrait of Rev. Cornelius Gregory Macpherson (1806-1899) by Lewis de St. Leger (b. 1808 in PA - ?). The artist was in the Nashville area from 1837 to at least 1840.
Professionally restored in 2009 by West Lake Conservators. Owned by family of Cornelia Macpherson Hughes Shake of Jackson TN and later Syracuse NY since early 1950s. Previous to 1950s, it was in the Macpherson family in the Louisville, Kentucky area, where Rev. Macpherson had retired to in the 1870s.
Painting was done in gratitude for Rev. Macpherson offering the artist hope of salvation after the artist had been imprisoned in the TN State Penitentiary for attempt to kill (domestic dispute). Rev. Macpherson was performing prison ministry in addition to his duties at Cumberland University.